Pressing F1 key on Windows brings up Windows Help and Support Center. However, some users find it very annoying when they accidentally press F1 key and this windows comes up. To eliminate this annoyance, you can disable the F1 key’s function in Windows.
Disabling F1 Key:
You can use a program named as ‘Sharpkeys’ for this purpose. This program lets you remap or disable keys on your keyboard. Here’s how:
- Run Sharpkeys.
- Click on ‘Add’ option and then click on the ‘Type Key’ option. You will find it towards the left side.
- Press F1 key and then select the ‘Turn Key Off’ option.
- Click on ‘OK’ and then click on the option, ‘Write to Registry’.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Another Method to Disable F1 Key on Windows:
There’s also an alternative method to get this done, in case the above method fails to work. Follow the steps given below:
- Click on ‘Start’ and then type ‘Run’.
- Type ‘regedit’ and hit Enter.
- Go to this location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSFT\Windows\Current Version\App Paths\HelpCTR.EXE
- Look for ‘Default’ and double-click. Then change its values to make it like this:
- Save the changes and then restart your PC for the changes to take effect.